It's so good to know there are alternatives to antiobiotics to give to children when they have acute ear infections. It's convenient, cheap, and remarkably effective.
1. Garlic ear drops - make an extract of garlic by crushing a clove of FRESH raw garlic and dissolving it in some olive oil. Place a few drops of it in the ear canal, as long as th eear drum is not perforated.
2. Breast milk - if you have access to breat ilk, place a few drops in the ear canal every few hours. This usually works to clear up infection with 24 - 48 hr. This is not only a safe alternative, but also inexpensive and may have a better result than antiobiotcs.
3. Coconut Oil ear drops - Coconut oil is both antimicrobial and anti-viral! Place a couple of drops in each ear canal. If the oil is solid, place a small amount in a small glass into a cup of hot water. It will melt when it reaches 76'F.
4. Chiropractic - Many chiropractors are trained in adjustments that can open up the Eustachian tube and allow it to drain properly. When the pressure is relieved after drainage, the pain will subside and the infection will dissipate.
5. Onion poultice - When warmth is applied to behind the ear, it mobilizes the post-auricular lymph chain and vasculature and draws congestion away from the inflamed area of the middle ear. You can make a preparation of half an toasted onion (few minutes in the toaster oven will do), wrap it in thin cloth, and place behind the ear. Use the largest cut side, for maximum available surface area.
6. Hydrogen Peroxide - 3 % solution of hydrogen peroxide has germicidal properties. Place a few drops into the ear canal while laying on the side. Let it bubble for 5-10 min and drain. Do the same to the other ear. Apply every few hours for best results. More detail here.